This enterprise project involves pupils in several subject areas, but is an ideal opportunity to consolidate work in any unit about 'My Region', 'Activities' or 'Giving Directions'.
Time scale: 6 periods
Create a script and record an audio guide to a local place. The audio guide might also be converted into a podcast for tourists or conference delegates.
At the end of the unit pupils will be able to:
• Use a computer to record MP3 files
• Give directions and information in the foreign language
Mac: Garageband, USB microphone, Headphones, Freeplay.com music.
PC: Audacity (free download), USB microphone, Headphones, Freeplay.com music, Sound Card.
Prior knowledge or skills to be learned:
• Vocabulary and written work on the topic of ‘My Town’ and 'Directions'
Considerations for students:
• How long is each video segment? Make music to fit. Try adding or removing repeated/looped segments to lengthen or shorten the soundtrack.
• In what order do different places appear? Can you make music that fits the scene (fast, slow, energetic, relaxed…)? How are the visuals going to be reflected in the audio?
• What effects can you use to create links between sections in the music? How can you link between the more energetic sections (A) and the lighter breaks (B)?